|A very exciting moment! But can you imagine being there in person?|
Credit: John Harrelson/Getty Images for NASCAR
10. The beautiful weather. I’m not sure about all of you, but where I live we don’t get all that much warm weather, so head out, catch some rays and enjoy the beautiful summer heat. I know a lot of us curse it for being so hot, but when it’s -30 this winter I’ll be wishing for these sunny days again.
9. The variety of tracks. Throughout the next few weeks there are many different tracks on the NASCAR circuit. We’ve got Chicago, Indianapolis, Pocono, Iowa, Watkins Glen, Montreal, Michigan and Bristol all before September. There are plenty of options for you and in a variety of areas, so pick one, maybe even 2, and make a vacation out of it.
8. Big Brother and Fifty Shades of Grey will still be around when you get back. I am a victim of these summertime guilty pleasures, but instead of reading about someone else’s romance, or watching other people enjoy their summer, get out and enjoy yours. The 2012 NASCAR season will be over before you know it. Don’t let time pass you by.
7. The surrounding area. If you want to make a full blown vacation out of your race trip check out what the different areas have to offer. Of course, the first thing that comes to my mind is shopping, but you could also check out a nearby beach, theme park, or other tourist attractions. Of course when I was in Charlotte I had lots to explore, but I also had some great shopping and dining experiences while in Kansas.
6. Freebies! It seems everywhere you turn at the track you are getting free stuff, whether it’s key chains, hats, posters, you name it! Also, there are plenty of opportunities to enter contests to win trips, cars and other large prizes. I know this is a long shot, but someone has to win.
5. It’s an excuse to tailgate all weekend. You can spend your time tailgating, drinking beer, and eating so-called “cheat foods” all weekend. There is hot dogs, french fries, giant turkey legs, lemonade and ice cream to name a few. If that doesn’t get your mouth watering, even just a bit, you must be made of stone. I applaud you, but I for one think enjoying stuff like this is part of life, indulge every now and again!
|Kris Allen entertains at Dover. |
Credit: Beth Bence Reinke
4. The concerts. I love heading to the pre or post race concerts at the races. Regardless of who is playing, you are bound to have a good time. I’ve seen Darius Rucker, Uncle Kracker, and 38 Special (from backstage!), to name a few. None of these were concerts I would usually run to get tickets to, but I thoroughly enjoyed myself at every one. If you are a country fan, you will for sure have a great time as most of the artists or bands are in the country genre.
3. Driver Interaction. Who wouldn’t want to be up close and personal with their favorite driver? Whether you have pit passes, attend an autograph signing, a tweetup, or are hanging at the Sprint Experience, you will probably have some stellar driver interactions. It’s always cool to see someone you watch on TV suddenly be right in front of your face. It’s your chance to get an autograph or picture; that way your trip will be everlasting, you will always have that wonderful memory.
|Recognize these faces at the tweetup from Texas?|
Credit: Debbie Ross
2. Meeting new people. I love hanging out and getting to know new people when I’m at the track. You can meet a ton of people outside the grandstands, and I always get to know my “grandstand neighbors.” It’s fun to get to know a complete stranger, and see who they are cheering for. I won’t lie; I like to ruffle a few feathers if we are pulling for different drivers, nothing too out of hand, of course. I have some great stories from meeting people at the track and have made some friends through it, even if it’s just a Facebook friend, it’s still neat. So when you are roaming around the track, smile, say hi and don’t be shy. One thing I’ve learned over the years…race fans are not shy!
1. The racing! There is quite the battle for the chase wild card spots going on. It’s always exciting to watch the summer races and see how the chase is going to pan out, and being there is person is just that much more exciting. The pressure is on some of these guys, you can see in person, who might fall short or who may step up.
|Credit Beth Bence Reinke|
I hope this “top 10” gives you the extra push in the right direction, towards the track perhaps? For the most part, I’ve taken road trips, so pack up the car and either your guy, or make it a ladies weekend, and pack up your girls. When you’re in good company like that being at the racetrack will be the cherry on top! Be sure to bring some cool, or weather appropriate outfits, and you will definitely beat the heat!
Enjoy the races!
Holly Strain is bringing her spin on the NASCAR world to Skirts and Scuffs, as she says, it is The Great American Sport through the eyes of a single girl. Holly is a Canadian born writer currently studying Publicity and Public Relations through the University of Toronto. Feel free to contact Holly onTwitter and via e-mail at email@example.com.