|credit: NASCAR Media|
Second-generation driver Ruben Garcia Jr., another member of the new NASCAR Next class, made his Nationwide Series debut earlier this season after two impressive seasons in the NASCAR Mexico Toyota Series. Learn more about this young driver in this week’s Fast Facts.
- Ruben Garcia Jr. was born Nov. 21, 1995 in Mexico City, Mexico. He is the son of driver Ruben Garcia Novoa, a veteran of the Toyota Series, the K&N Pro Series West and the Cup Series. The elder Garcia made nine Cup Series starts from 1984-88 with a best finish of 14th at Riverside International Raceway; in 44 K&N Pro Series West races from 1979-88, he picked up two wins at Mesa Marin Raceway.
- Garcia Jr. made his Toyota Series debut in 2011 as a 15-year-old, starting 11th and finishing 25th at the race in Mexico City. In 2012, he ran the full Toyota Series schedule, earning seven top 10 finishes in 14 races and the Rookie of the Year title for the series. He earned his first pole at Autodromo Miguel E. Abed in Puebla and a top finish of third at Mexico City while finishing 14th in points.
- Garcia Jr. continued in the Toyota Series in 2013, moving up to fourth in season-ending points and earning his first win at Nuevo Autodromo de Aguascalientes. He continues to race full-time in the series in 2014.
- Garcia Jr. made his Nationwide Series debut at Phoenix in March, starting 32nd and improving to 25th.
- Follow Garcia Jr. on Twitter: @rubengarcia4 (please note: most of his posts are in Spanish).