|credit: NASCAR Media|
John Wes Townley, currently competing in both the NASCAR Xfinity and Camping World Truck Series for Athenian Motorsports, has Zaxby’s sponsorship for both rides – find out why in this week’s edition of Fast Facts.
- John Wes Townley was born Dec. 31, 1989 in Watkinsville, GA. His father, Tony, is the co-founder of Zaxby’s, a chain of chicken restaurants located primarily in the southeastern United States. Tony Townley is also the owner of Athenian Motorsports.
- Townley began racing in the American Speed Association, competing in two K&N Pro Series East races in 2007. He made the move to NASCAR and ARCA Racing Series competition in 2008, competing full-time in the ARCA Racing Series and finishing seventh in points with eight top 10 finishes. He also raced in three Nationwide (now Xfinity) Series races and seven Truck Series races that year.
- In 2009, Townley focused on the Nationwide Series, qualifying for 26 of the 35 races that season and finishing 23rd in points. In 2012, he competed for the Rookie of the Year title in the Truck Series, finishing 16th in points and earning his first top 10 finish at Pocono; Ty Dillon won the Rookie award that year.
- After stints with RAB Racing, Richard Childress Racing, SR2 Motorsports, Red Horse Racing and others, Townley now races for the family-owned Athenian Motorsports in both the Xfinity and Truck Series. The team debuted in the Nationwide Series in May 2014, later adding a Truck Series team to their stable. In 2015, Townley will have K&N Pro Series West driver Dylan Lupton as a teammate, sharing the No. 25 Chevrolet in the Xfinity Series.
- Follow Athenian Motorsports on their Facebook page.