Austin Dillon, driver of Richard Childress Racing’s #3 Bass Pro Shops Chevrolet Silverado in the Camping World Truck Series, had a remarkable rookie season in 2010. Finishing fifth in points and earning the series’ Rookie-of-the-Year Award, Dillon took the famed #3 back to victory lane. Here are a few facts about this up-and-coming star.
- Dillon was born April 27th, 1990 in Lewisville, North Carolina. He is the grandson of Richard Childress, son of Mike Dillon (former Busch Series driver and current general manager for RCR), and brother of ARCA driver Ty Dillon.
- From 2005 to 2007, Dillon raced Bandoleros, Legends, and Dirt Late Models. In 2008, he moved up to the NASCAR Camping World East Series, finishing second in points and winning Rookie-of-the-Year.
- Late in 2008, he made his Nationwide Series debut at Richmond International Speedway, and finished fourth at Memphis (TN) Motorsports Park in October of that year.
- As an RCR development driver in 2009, Dillon raced in four series: Camping World Trucks, Nationwide, Camping World East, and ARCA.
- He moved to the Truck Series full-time in 2010, earning seven poles and winning twice. He became the second rookie in nine seasons to finish the season in the top five in points.
- In 2011, Dillon will compete full-time in the Truck Series, while driving part-time for Kevin Harvick Inc. in the Nationwide Series. He will also make his Sprint Cup Series debut later in the year.
Find out more about Austin Dillon at www.rcrnetwork.com.