|Getty Images for NASCAR: Jeff Zelevansky|
- Samuel Jon Hornish Jr. was born July 2, 1979 in Defiance, Ohio. His racing career began at age 11 in go-karts, progressing from junior leagues to the World Karting Association in 1993, where he won numerous championships over the next few seasons. He made the move from karting to the United States F2000 Series, and also competed in the Toyota Atlantic Series and the 24 Hours of Daytona.
- Hornish Jr. moved to the Indy Racing League in 2000, winning three championships (2001, 2002 and 2006) as well as the 2006 Indianapolis 500 as a member of Team Penske. Also in 2006, Hornish Jr. began the transition to NASCAR with Penske Racing, competing in the final two Busch (now Nationwide) Series races of the season. 2007 saw Hornish Jr. compete in his final full season in the IRL while competing part-time in both the Busch and Cup Series in NASCAR.
- Hornish Jr. raced in the Cup Series full-time for three seasons (2008 to 2010) before a lack of sponsorship left him without a Cup Series ride for 2011. He competed in several Nationwide Series races for Penske Racing that season, picking up his first victory at Phoenix in November, which happened to also be the site of his first IRL win in 2001.
- In 2012, Hornish Jr. is racing full-time in the Nationwide Series, and was also scheduled to races selected Cup Series races during the season.
- Hornish Jr. and his wife, Crystal are the parents of two daughters, Addison Faith and Liza Jo.
- For more information on Sam Hornish Jr., visit his website, http://www.samhornish.com/.